I fell in love with the most beautiful patriotic red and blue star quilt at Pottery Barn. But over three hundred dollars was more than out of my price range. So I got it in my head that I could make my own quilt. I went in search of red and blue fabric that was similar to the Pottery Barn quilt. At some point I realized that instead of trying to find the fabric I had in mind, I should just see what was out there and what I liked.
So I got busy planning. Not as easy as I thought. But after a couple of hour researching tidbit from the interwebs and learning about quilting blocks, I came up with a simple design.
With all my planning, I made one huge amateur mistake. I did not take into account that pre-washing fabric would cause a substantial amount of fraying. I lost about an inch or so, and had to resize my squares from 8 inch square, to 7 1/2 inch square. I also increased the width of the sashing to 2 1/2 inches to keep the quilting blocks 10 inches and my total quilt 90 inches square. Crisis adverted.
Press seam to the darker side of the fabric. I think I spent more time at the ironing board than at the sewing machine. It also doesn’t help that it is regularly around 100 degrees outside and Texas is having a pretty severe drought. All that ironing in all this heat is draining.
That is the first part and so far so good. I hope to finish up and get more pictures soon.